[TowerTalk] Tower and Guy 'Hole' help

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:59:45 -0700

I thought about that same thing for a short while.  Then I decided there were
three very good reasons to get the shovel and do it by hand:

1.  Its cheaper since my labor is essentially free.
2.  It is more accurate than a machine like a backhoe and I can leave exactly
the right earth undisturbed and I will need no forms except right at the
surface.
3.  Most important, I really needed the exercise.  I would bet YOU need the
exercise too, unless you work as a manual laborer or work out on a regular
basis.  Couldn't you stand to lose about 20 pounds . . . ?

I hand dug 12 holes in my yard for 3 towers all over 100 feet high.  It took
several hours.  I could do about 1/2 of a hole per day.  Most of the holes were
5-6 feet deep.  I was in my late 30's or early 40's when I did it.   I am in my
early 60's now but I think I would still do it today.  Might take a little
longer now . . .  still need the exercise though . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com