[TowerTalk] SUMMARY: "Bucket Truck" for Tower Work? (LONG)

Jeff Maass jmaass@columbus.rr.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 23:05:08 -0400

Earlier this week, I posted a request for information on using a
"bucket truck" for antenna work. I've repeated my question and
the responses I received  below.

******************************
****** The Question *******
*                                          *

I'm beginning to shop for a crane to assist in the refit of my
70' tower. I was looking at  hourly rental of a crane with a
80-foot working  height with operator included.

A neighbor suggested that he could get me a weekend rental
of a "bucket truck", where the  operator rides in the bucket
while controlling the extension of the boom. This would
seem to be ideal should any on-tower tuning be needed, as
well as significantly cheaper than a crane/operator.

Does anyone have experience with using one of these
devices for tower work? Problems (other than my hesitation
to operate it without adequate training)? Caveats?

I'll be removing a small tribander and Hay-Gain 2-element
40 and installing a KT34XA and Cushcraft 2-element 40.

***************************
****** The Responses ******
*                         *

Bucket trucks are great.  You just balance the boom across
the bucket and take it up. The only problem you may have
is that most of them will only allow the operator to work at
60'.  Check on the height limitations of the truck before any
outlay of expenses.

In retrospect (re my last msg), don't try to operate the truck
yourself if you have never done so before.  The tricky part is
the balance.  Get a truck with an experienced operator.
He can control it from down below if necessary.  In some
case, you may get an operator who is willing to affix the
antenna for you.  You can go up and do a final eyeball when
he finishes.

***

Some eqpt rental places have these bucket lifts.  There are
liquid fuel powered and electric models that look about the
same.  I would opt for the electric one if you're in a residential
neighborhood---they're almost silent.  What the rental co does
is bring the unit out in the am, and pick it up in the pm.  Usually
they're around  $250 or so/day.  Only thing to watch is the
height limitation.  Also, they have dual controls (one set in the
bucket, one set at the unit base.

***

Here in MD, I could not find a firm that would rent me one because
of the liability issues.  I had to rent one with an operator.  He
let me on the bucket but not "officially".

***

I've used one of these a number of times.  I operated the 60footer.
Operator controls the whole thing from up in the air, including:
boom extension, boom elevation, boom rotation, up-and-down of
small bucket arm, side-to-side of bucket, and wheels.  Don't move
the wheels while the gizmo is extended, however, as the
instructions state.

I have used it to put antennas up, take them down, add tower
sections (rohn BX), etc.  DEFINITELY the way to go.  Operation
learning curve is easy.  Everything is marked on the panel.  If
you have ever played a video game you won't have any
problem.

***

Around here, the REA only charges $45/hour for their bucket truck
with operator.  The cranes here go for about twice that.  Their
newest truck is great, has a one handle "joystick" control that is
easy to use, and the REA operator can take over from the
ground if you need help.  Max reach is about 80 feet for this
one.  I've had them help with tower work, large satellite dish
work (broadcast industry), and setting 65' poles for my wire
antennas.  Some of the trucks are dual bucket, so the operator
can go up and be right beside you.

***

Jeff .... I have never used a bucket truck, but have used a crane
holding me up there in a basket. It is OK for certain kinds of
work, but not real efficient timewise if you are going to be
removing and reinstalling beams.  Also, trying to control the
bucket and also hold an antenna would be pretty difficult.
The best thing by far, for me, has been to rent ($50/hr or so)
a 100' boom truck and operator from one of the local neon
sign companies.  With the crane, and one or two good climbers
on the tower you can move and replace several antennas in
just an hour or two. For my money, and safety, the sign
company crane is much better than buckets, tram wires, or the
like.

***

I couldn't find one to use myself, but did find  a local large sign
company willing to do it at a good price of $65 per hour.

***

A bucket truck is a great tool for tower work, providing that
a) you can use it safely, or have a trained operator, and
b)  that it is of adequate height.  Most of the ones I've seen
don't get near 80 feet, although I'm sure they exist.  The last
time I rented one, it was about $50/hr with the operator (at
NY prices).

***

I rented one and used it to replace an element on an antenna at
40 ft.  I did the work myself. My only complaint was that I don't
like heights and being in the bucket (which wobbles around a lot)
bothered me a lot.  I would not do it again.  I kept visualizing
that thing going over sideways.  I would have felt better if
someone who uses them all the time had been there and
told me that the way we had the stabilizing "feet" set up
was proper.

***

Some folks came with a 60' truck to take down my tower and
beams. Works fine but the weight of the truck tore up my lawn.
Be sure you have them come on a day when the earth is not
rain-softened and keep them away from the septic system.

Some times you can "work a deal" for weekend service.  Try
tree services.

Be sure to get all involved to sign a release of liability...the
cheapest insurance you will ever buy.  Get a lawyer to draft it.

***

first off, a bucket that will reach to that height will bob like a
sailboat. if you are not used to working at that height in a
bouncy situation I would NOT try it!

as for lack of training... you might be a lot better off (and the
xyl will be happier) if you find a local friendly utility guy who
will spend a couple of hours with you... for a few bucks... now
you have a person who knows what to do, and knows how to
do it from a bucket!!

Also remember, the book and bucket get in the way of
elements...

***

I don't recall seeing a bucket truck that would go that high, but
surely they  exist.  However, I think the best, and safest, way
to do what  you described is to use a crane with an
experienced operator.  The tower worker needs to be  on the
tower with the crane doing the lifting, etc.  Bucket trucks just
aren't really intended for hauling beams up and down and would
probably give you lots of grief.  What you want to do should be
easily done in a half day rental period using a crane.  Bucket
trucks are great for fixing elements and  getting to impossible
places on your antenna or mast.

***

I used one (125' manlift)  to work on my 110' tower.  Had to
repair the 40M beam....worked great!

Recommendations:

Use a qualified operator from a bonded, insured  and REPUTABLE
company. Determine if they provide the body harness or if you'll
need to go get one. Your climbing belt is not adequate to comply
with OSHA rules regarding fall restraint.  If the company says
you won't need one then go find another company...it's a good
indicator of bad things to come.

Be 110% sure that heights don't bother you. These things move
around (bounce, jiggle, sway) and the higher you get the worse
it is.  If you're not comfortable on your tower then you'll be even
less comfortable in a bucket.

Be aware that the truck will leave some sizable dents in your
yard.....the bigger the truck the bigger the dents!

You'll need to get the truck up close to your tower.  An 80'
manlift will need to be right next to the tower in order to provide
adequate reach on a 70' tower.

You'll also need to make sure that there is adequate room for
the lift arms to unfold.  Trees and buildings are the biggest
nuisance.  The chosen company should come out and survey
the sight beforehand.

Have a big check book......most companies want a 4 hour
minimum.....including drive time.

***

I have never operated a bucket truck but I have had a similar
experience with a backhoe. I needed to get a backhoe
to dig my tower base and cringed at the cost of hiring a
backhoe with an operator so I decided to rent a backhoe
and do it my self. I too was leery of operating that thing
since I had no experience so I took a few hours and practiced
with it in the pasture after I got use  to how the controls
worked and how touchy they were I dug my tower base and
bases for 3 elevated guys points until I hit rock and had to
hire a pro to finish HIHI. But the point of this is take the
bucket truck to a safe area  ie no trees, power lines or
buildings and play with it get use to the controls and feel
of the thing and I'm sure you will be more confident when
you get to working around the tower.

***

Me too, the truck I used was 135' and looked like an antique.
Bald tires, rust, and all.  Boy, was I worried!

They did make me wear a harness that they supplied. I hid
in the bottom of the bucket until it was at the top!

The truck I used had a telescoping mast. Whatever you do,
don't look at the mast when it is all the way out!

It was $300 minimum here for a 135 ft boom.

***

Bucket truck work is really great.  I did a coax changeout of a
triband beam feedline that was too high up the mast to reach
standing on the lower beam beam-to-mast plate.  An operator
came with the bucket and we rode up together.  That is
definitely the safe and sane way to do it.

At 70', I recommend you get a two-man bucket; one place for
you and one for the operator.  It's not where you want to be "without
adequate training."

***

If you check out my QRP page (just follow the link at the bottom
of this note) you will see a 72 foot tower being installed with a
bucket truck. I am/was trained on this piece of equipment so
I find it very useful.

http://members.home.net/ve6yc

***

When I asked a local bucket truck rental  company about  using
one of their trucks to dismantle an 80 ft tower and 3 attached
tribanders, they asked if I had a driveway or otherwise reinforced
ground beneath the tower.  They were VERY reluctant to consider
using an 80 ft boom truck on undisturbed earth.

Are you familiar with the TROLLEY method of antenna installation
/ removal?  Takes about an hour to do the rigging but then only a
few minutes to raise or lower antennas.  That's how I have put up
all my antennas.

Of course, if you don't like climbing masts, then it is tedious to
remove the rotor and lower the mast, assuming your tribander
and 2L40 are on a rotating mast.

***

Drive over to your local beverage store on Friday afternoon and
wait until a large bucket truck pulls in. When the driver of the
truck comes out of the store see what he purchased. I have
secured the services of truck and driver all day Sat. for a case
of Bud (24 cans). Who says I am not cheep.

****** End of Responses **********

Thanks to everyone who provided their experiences!

73,
Jeff Maass       jmaass@columbus.rr.com     Located near Columbus Ohio
         USPSA # L-1192       NROI/CRO    Amateur Radio K8ND
    Maass' IPSC Resources Page:  http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass