R: [TowerTalk] WARC antennas

Maurizio Panicara i4jmy@iol.it
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 20:02:41 +0200

Rather than anything else, the Windom critical point is the possible (nearly
sure) current unbalance in the feed line that keeps RF hot the equipments
and shack, computers and keyboards included, and also may pick up RF noises
generated in the shack or nearby. About efficiency, the Windom is mostly
like any other horizontal antenna were height from ground is typically the
critical matter. Specific positioning of low placed horizontal aerials may
determine coupling to nearby objects and no low angles, but peculiar
positioning (i.e . close to a tall cliff edge or ) may produce quite
different patterns and vertical angles transforming the dummy load in a very
efficient antenna.
The S5 did a great effort in organizing a complex event like WRTC and
succeded.
The windom antennas have ben used also (basically, I guess) for mults search
(on all bands) and not only as the 40 & 80m antenna.
Last but not least, also (TX) gain counts, each single dB included.
So, we all know and agree a few dB won't make any difference in results when
the transmitting antennas is well exceeding gain requirements (like W8IJ
ants on 160) so making everyone able to hear our signal without troubles!
(just kidding again about the dB thing)

73,
Mauri I4JMY