[TowerTalk] Guideline: Length of Rotor Loop?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 05:48:44 EDT

>> Is there a guideline of how much feedline to allow for the loop in the span between the top of the tower and the mast to allow for rotation? >>

    Not to be a smart-aleck (for a change), you need enough to clear everything during a 360 degreee rotation. I usually add about 4 feet for rotation loops.

    You should always have someone on the tower watch everything as the system goes through a 360 degree rotation and then make any adjustments. Tape all the cables together and everything should be out of harm's way.

    Part of the equation is where the cables are coming from. If they're just coming down the mast, they don't need much of a rotation loop. If they are coming along the boom, they'll probably take more.

    Another way to do it is to make 2 or 3 one-foot or so coils of cable around the mast laying on top of the tower flat top plate. This is all the rotation loop you need. The cables only move a little bit and they don't snag on anything. It's like the helically wound feedline wrapped around the pump-up mast you see on tv news vans.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech