[TowerTalk] cable for MA550MDP

Wyllma Wall billwall@bellsouth.net
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 11:32:45 -0400

Hi Stephen,
I have helped many Hams with repairing their crank ups. For safety we use large
8000lb come along and 3' sections of 1-1/2" ( almost 2" OD ) water pipe. The water
pipe is placed in the tower sections so the tower can not fall and cut your hands
and feet off. The cable can be any fine mesh , treated aircraft cable. This might
be a good time to check the pulleys and winch. If the tower is down all the way and
not tilted over, we usually crank it up bottom sections first and using the pipe
safeties before doing any climbing. Be very careful unless your tower is all the
way down. Tilted over is the best way.
                   I hope this helped ,
                                                       Bill Wall KC4UZ