[TowerTalk] 2 ele 40; driven and director

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:02:11 -0600

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000  "Jamie Tolbert" <jtolbert@gremlan.org> writes:

> Has anyone built/modeled a 2 element 40m beam using a driven element
> and director? I'm looking to decrease the boom length/windload of my
> "homebrew" 40-2CD. ( 23' boom) and would like to know how the dr+dir
works.

> 73 Jamie WW3S

There are two shortcomings to Director type 2L Yagi's,
especially on 40M.

First, the gain-bandwidth is much more narrow for a director
type 2L Yagi than for a reflector type 2L Yagi.  This means that
the design is less forgiving of modeling and taper errors which
means that tuning is more critical.

Second, which is a subset of the first, a 40M director when tuned
for the CW band, looks like a reflector when operated in the SSB
portion of the band.  This was a fairly well known problem with the
original Hy-Gain linear loaded 2L40M antennas back in the 1960's.

de Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.