[TowerTalk] nickel vs silver PL259s

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:28:02 -0600

On 26 Jul 2000 15:02:54 -0000 rick@area.com writes:

> I need to install a bunch of PL259s on some Bury Flex coax.
> I have a bunch of nickel plated ones in my junk box that
> don't solder worth a darn.  Is there any particular trick
> to getting these to work (such as more heat, activated rosin
> flux, sanding off the oxide first, etc)?  Or should I
> donate these connectors to some worthy cause like the local
> CB club and use silver plated connectors exclusively?

I use nickel-plated Amphenols all the time. They come in individual
cellophane bags, and I have never had any problem soldering them.
They are available for $1, sometimes even less.

After some bad experiences with non-Amphenols, I never use anything
else. There may be some good off-brands out there, but it is
impossible, at least for me,  to detect the little manufacturing
variances by eyeball. Some of the non-Amphenol problems I have
encountered:

Melting insulator (Radio Shack)
Center pin too long
Insufficient thread engagement on shell