[TowerTalk] Prime Directive - clamps etc

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:16:39 EDT

In a message dated 07/28/2000 2:49:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jfleming@shelbynet.net writes:

> >     You want the saddle on the live, or loadbearing, side of the cable.
The
>  > 'dead' side is the cut part with an end. The saying is "never saddle a
>  >dead horse". That is, don't put the saddle on the dead side. Clamp
capacity
>  >is reduced about 40% by installing it backwards.
>
>  OOPS - Glen Martin's pics indicate the reverse!
>  For example, see:  http://www.glenmartin.com/catalog/page18.html and I
>  just rechecked the Owner's Manual as well.

    You're right. No comment.

>  Soooo, is this an exception to the Prime Directive?  Of course, I can't
>  remember now, and will have to go out and see if I DID follow the
>  manufacturer's (?wrong) instructions!

    Good one! I guess I would say that since GME isn't the manufacturer that
you can ignore their incorrect info.

> These are Kevlar guys, but I'm
>  sure that doesn't matter except that you DO have to use clamps!
>  Fortunately the Glen Martin 70 footer with the Hazer tracks bolted to
>  one side has pretty low guy tension anyway.

    I don't know if this is Phillystran - they may not be - but Phillystran
is also Kevlar. Phillystran is NOT to be used with cable clamps. While that
was the accepted technique before they had Preformed grips, the Kevlar
cold-flows and it is no longer factory approved. So I would say that GME got
two things wrong.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech