[TowerTalk] Re: Raising and lowering the mast

Jim Idelson k1ir@designet.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 06:48:08 -0400

I had a tremendous number of responses to this request. There were four camps:
1.	Get a bucket truck
2.	Climb the mast with some temporary angle aluminum steps
3.	Build a permanent custom winching system inside the tower
4.	Temporarily install a worm-gear driven puller from McMaster-Carr with a hook
for hanging on top and a 12-foot cable with a hook on the other end. See
http://www.mcmaster.com Enter "33615T15" in the Find field. Look at the bottom
of the page.

For my raising and lowering the mast requirement, the worm-gear device looks
like a very workable solution. But, K7LXC opened my eyes to an alternate
technique, which may be simpler, using the temporary steps and slowly
'shimmying' the antenna up the mast with boom-to-mast u-bolts in place.

Thanks to everyone.

73,

Jim K1IR