[TowerTalk] connectors

Steve Maki steve@oakcom.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:37:25 -0400

"L. B. Cebik" wrote:

>In some connectors, the pin may not make full contact with the
>corresponding receptacle.  In some cases, this appears to be a
>construction flaw.  In other cases, it can result from pin movement during
>soldering--either in the male or female connector.  The pin movement may
>result from normal heat, from excess heat (getting that solder to go
>exactly where we want it to go), or from the way we clamp and hold the
>connector while soldering.  If the pin moves (back and forth or
>side-to-side) at all during soldering, discard the connector, whatever the
>cause.  Alignment is no longer assured.

A technique I use often is to pop the center pin and dielectric insert
out of the shell (a sharp rap on a 1/4" nutdriver will pop it out).

Then the shell is soldered onto the braid normally, except now you
can inspect to make sure that no solder is threatening to create a
short to the center conductor.  Then the center pin is reinserted
over the center conductor and soldered quickly.

--
Steve K8LX