[TowerTalk] Repair torn BuryFlex?

Dan Levin djl@andlev.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:47:07 -0700

I have two runs of BuryFlex going up my crank-up tower.  While doing some
work on the tower today, I noticed that the outside cover of one of the runs
of coax is torn in a couple of places along a 24" stretch.  It appears that
the coax got snagged on something, and there are 4-6 1/8 - 1/4" cuts in the
cover.  I can see the shield through a couple of the tears, the shield is
not discolored or rusted at all.

I don't know when this happened, but it is fairly likely to have been
recently.  We do not get rain in this part of California during the summer.

So, do I:

1) Remove and replace the coax
2) Cut out the 10' around the damage, and splice the coax with a barrel
connector
3) Repair the cover and leave well enough alone

Obviously #3 is my preference by a long shot, since replacing or splicing
the coax would be a fairly major hassle.  I do have an MFJ-259B, so I can
check the coax for loss if that is useful.

If I am going to repair the coax, I can think of two obvious ways to do it.
I could use the good 3M electrical tape and just wrap the cover of the coax
around the damage.  Alternatively, I could use one of those liquid
electrical tape products, either spray or brush on.

Your suggestions and comments please.  Thanks in advance!

                          ***dan, N6BZA