[TowerTalk] Prime Directive - clamps etc

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:04:44 -0600

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000  "WA9ALS - John" <jfleming@shelbynet.net> writes:

> > This brings up two questions in my mind:

 	SNIP

> 2.  I think my clamps LOOK the same relative to the "clamping
> radius". That is, the cup of the saddle is the same radius as the
> U bolt part > - as they are brought slowly together, they eventually
> form a circle -  not
> sure exactly how this circle compares to the rope diameter, and it's
> probably not a circle anymore when tightened down.

Yes, the inside diameter of the saddle and the U-bolt are the same,
BUT, the saddle is FLAT for roughly 3/8 to 1/2 inch along the cable
vs. the small contact area of the U-bolt (sort of like a very dull
blade).
If over tightened, the U-bolt will eventually cut / work through the
cable.
THAT is why you want the U bolt on the DEAD end of the cable.

de  Tom  N4KG
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.