[TowerTalk] RE: ground rods from N0AH

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog@aol.com
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:54:01 EDT

I do two things here in "lightningville" Wyoming besides using a couple of
ground rods at each tower.

First, I have all my antennas on remote antenna switch's that I turn off when
not on the air.  For example, my #1 tower has the Ameritron RCS8 remote
antenna switch mounted on the tower.  I have 5 antennas feeding into the
relay box.  From the box, I have only one feedline going into the house- easy
to disconnect when I'm not home or if bad wx is predicted for the day.
Also, each of the feedlines going into the box have 5-7 turns to form a choke
for lightning. The box can be turned off from inside the shack that turns off
all the relays so nothing is connected going into the house. Not much for a
lightning strike to breach the relays but better perhaps then running
straight feedlines lines from the antennas to an inside antenna switch.

Second, if the chances are there that day for lightning, then I'll just go
out to the tower and disconnect the feedlines going into the remote switch as
well as the feedlines going into the house. All of my feedlines can be
disconnected at the base of my towers. From April - September, my beverages
are just disconnected.  But they too are operated off a remote antenna switch
just in case I'm not around and lightning is-

Thirds, it is important also to use lightning discharge devices together with
a decent ground rod system.  That said, if your tower gets a direct hit,
tough to prevent the potential for damages no matter what you've done. .......

I think the best system to protect your house from lightning off a tower is
too just disconnect your feedlines BEFORE the storm gets there- and plug them
into a grounded buss panel etc.....it might take a few minutes but it's a
common sense practice-  I don't want to down play all this ground rod stuff,
but using just one approach to prevent lightning damage seems to increase the
odds of getting whacked-  I don't know if my towers have ever been hit, but
I've never had any lightning damage using the above
suggestions................73  Paul  N0AH