[TowerTalk] RC2800P-A Rotor Programming Assistance

Fred Kleber Fred Kleber" <k9vv@indy.net
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 15:36:17 -0500

I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out the setup of M-Squared's
newfangled RCP2800P-A rotor controller.  For those not familiar with this
rotor controller, it works with prop pitches and utilizes a magnetic pickup
to count the motor shaft turns)  I have a small prop pitch and have
installed the magnetic pickups inside the rotor can.  Total cable run to the
tower is about 175' and I am using 3x12AWG wire for the motor and #22 for
the magnetic pickup.

It appears that I am able to program modes 3-9 and 20-29 just fine.  The
main problem is that when the motor & sensor leads are connected and the
controller is powered up, the rotor starts turning uncontrollably in a CCW
direction.  Knowing I don't want to twist my coax around the mast I power
down the controller box.

Thinking that something was programmed wrong, I went to mode 6 and
reinstalled all factory default mode settings.  Thinking this would stop the
run away yagi problem, I again power up and again instantly spinning yagi!!!
It almost appears as the controller "thinks" it is NOT at the correct
heading on power-up and instantly marches to get there.

The "manual" have very little on troubleshooting and doesn't cover this
problem.

My questions:
1)  What would cause the runaway behavior described above?
2)  What does the "L" in the 3rd LED from the left signify?  (Past rotor
limit?)
3)  How can one tell if they're in PROGRAM vs. RUN mode?

Thanks in advance to Talkians for their friendly assistance.

73,
Fred, K9VV