[TowerTalk] Got Permit, No Covenants, No Problem - Think Again!

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:32:01 -0000

Gerry:
Sorry to hear the grief has gone so far. I had a similar situation
here about 10 years ago. Prior to moving to my present QTH, I
checked to make sure the developer (new consturction) had no
restrictions on antennas, and also the township.
The only restrictions in the twp's codes applied to "commercial
radio and TV stations" which were zoned only in the industrial
zoned section of town. So, we all figured, no problem since nothing
was mentioned about towers in residential areas.
No prohibition, no problem. Right? Wrong.
My neighbor pulled the same thing - said if it's not explicitly stated,
it can't be done. Fortunately, we prevailed at a township zoning
board meeting, with the twp's lawyer reviewing the PRB-1 packet,
with some able help from W3VL, one of the League's volunteer
counsel. Also fortunately, my neighbor did not pursue it after the
twp. ruled in my favor. It's a shame our legal system doesn't make
the loser pay, as is the British system. Be a lot less of this
nonsense going on...
GL/Barry

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com