[TowerTalk] Using A Big Iron On PL-259's

Pressley W Jones n8ug@juno.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 09:44:30 -0500

Heck, no need to find the post - it is correct. We do 'em every day with
such wattage, as well as an arc solder machine, with even higher
effective power. The secret is simple - high heat, short time. With an
iron, we consider 10 - 30 seconds the window for all four holes in a PL -
actually 5 - we spend 2-5 seconds on hole # 1, which acts as a "preheat",
then 2-3 seconds on each of #2, 3, & 4, then 2 sec more on #1, since the
warm-up flow's field is a bit small. A damp (not wet) towel is kept
handy, for cooling, in case the job runs a tad long (20-30 sec).
Pre-tinning the braid is really not necessary with good technique and new
coax with bare or tinned braid shield, however, and it is risky to boot.
It is possible to liquify the dielectric in an instant, and more skill
than the typical amateur installer is required for success.
It is another example of the old amateur disease - "if a little is good,
a lot must be better."
Some think it is necessary when a long run of coax is supported by the
connector, but if such is the case, "Kellems(tm)" are the correct answer.

We welcome a critique on the QD's - properly used, they get lots of kudos
as a convenience AND as a complement to lightning protection set ups.

73,

Press Jones, N8UG - The Wireman, Inc., 261 Pittman Rd, Landrum, SC 29356
<Press@thewireman.com> or <orders@thewireman.com>
800-727-WIRE(9473)(sales)
Tech help 864-895-4195, fax 864-895-5811.Full catalog, images,
descriptions, coax specs,
 ordering, at http:\\www.thewireman.com and super deals, specials,
close-outs etc.,
at THE WIRELINE. Check the CALENDAR to find us at a hamfest!