[TowerTalk] Optimum/Efficient Matchbox Operation

Dave D'Epagnier DAVED@ctilidar.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:57:18 -0600

<snip>

> But,  you know,  I still am not sure what
> and how works a "dual differential" variable capacitor
> as is used as the Match C component in the Matchbox,  hi.
>
> 73,  Jim,  KH7M
> On the Garden Island of Kauai

	[Dave D'Epagnier]  Jim, it appears that the capacitor "differential"
arrangement allows for magnetic field cancellation, or in effect a self
shielding capacitor which is probably advantagous to provide for isolation
from the big coil in the center of the KW matchbox. The self shielding
occurs do to the current flowing in one direction in the capacitor and then
coming back in the opposite direction (right hand rule cancellation). The
"dual" part I think simply refers to the fact that there are two of 'em in
there, which as I recall from the short glimpse I once had either doubles
the capacitance or voltage handling (can't remeber if they're in series or
parallel).

	--Dave
	K0QE