[TowerTalk] Rebuilding an Alliance HD-73

Dan Levin djl@andlev.com
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:51:29 -0700

My father had this rotor in service for about 15 years.  When removed from
service, it was "sticking" quite badly.  That is to say that it would refuse
to start much of the time.  Towards the end, pretty much all of the time.
Once it started it worked fine.  He built a voltage booster for the motor
line, which was moderately effective in improving the situation.

When I removed this rotor from service, it tested out fine on the bench.  I
stuck it in a box and forgot about it.  Now I need it to rotate my lower
antenna for which I just built a sidemount this weekend.

So I need hints for rebuilding an HD-73.  Suggestions of the form "send it
to Norm" will be sent to /dev/null.  I would happily sent it to Norm, but I
am feeling cheap at the moment :-)

I have removed the bearings, and cleaned them.  I will inspect them, and
replace any obviously bad ones.  I will check the teeth on the various
gears.  I will verify that the various circuits in the rotor check out for
resistance.

Anything else that I should check?

What grease should I use when I rebuild it?  Should I only grease the
bearings themselves (and their races, obviously), or is there anything else
that I should grease?

The apparent cause of failure is "varnish" that has built up where the upper
part of the rotor mates to the lower part.  I will remove this "varnish" -
should I lubricate this joint in any way?

All hints appreciated.  Thanks!

            ***dan, N6BZA

P.S.  Don't forget the California QSO Party - October 7 and 8!