[TowerTalk] End Fed W8JK

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:19:26 EDT

In a message dated 6/19/00 12:50:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Ku7i@worldnet.att.net writes:<<

 I would like to talk with others who may have either modeled, have tried, or
 are using an end fed W8JK. I am considering end-feeding it rather than the
 conventional center-transposed feed down the middle and then mounting it
 vertically.

 Lane
 Ku7i

73 mag had an article on it.  The ends were bent in and then fed with open
wire line.  I'd suggest using a length that is a 1/2 wave multiple.  I'd
suggest 135' for a .98 VF and it's a 1/2 wave multiple on 80-10M.  Use a
Johnson Match Box.  If there is a matching problem, add 1/4 wave of open wire
line and try that length.

With an 8JK you can often hear your CW signal coming the long way around when
the band is open full circle inbetween the characters which is valuable
information.  It has a very sharp vertical pattern for 4 dB gain (both ways)
and works very well on DX.  Since there's is no F/B it tends to keep the
frequency clear after a transmission.     K7GCO