[TowerTalk] Question on Insulators

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:35:38 -0600

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000  "Randall R. Wing" <rwing@southwind.net> writes:

> > I have seen the tables in the different ARRL books on the
> different lengths of guy cable - does anyone have any preferences?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Randy

Here is a copy of a post I wrote last February on this subject.

Guy Insulator Placement   de   N4KG

The following lengths between insulators have
resonances between the conventional bands
(which places their resonances in the WARC bands :-)
-  27, 40, 58, and 76 ft.  (per ARRL  Antenna Book)

You may want to make your wires slightly shorter
to compensate for the capacitive end loading of the
loops through the insulators.

You need to place the first insulator as close to the
tower as possible to prevent coupling to continuous
wire from one insulator, through the tower, to another
insulator.

For the first insulated section, I like to use a short
piece of 10 to 12 ft between insulators.  This length
is substantially less than 1/2 wavelength (WL) on
10M and will therefore be nearly invisible on all frequencies
below 28 MHz.  For even better isolation, use two 10-12
ft sections before going to longer spans.

de  Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.