[TowerTalk] A3S Refurbishment - Traps == Bug Nests

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:22:01 -0400

I was in the process of reassembling the elements of my A3S last night,
when some bits of debris visible in one of the traps stopped me. After
trying to fish the debris out of the drain holes, I removed the end caps
only to find the trap PACKED with bits of dryed grass or other plant
material.

After that, I pulled all of the traps and found that half of them were
jammed on either end with the same kind of trash. Out of 12 traps, only 2
of them didn't have something in them. I can only guess some small wasp
or other bug entered through the drain holes.

Rather than disassemble the traps, I used compressed air and long needle
nose pliers to get rid of the debris. It took about an hour to clean all
the traps.

So, a word to the wise. If you have a trapped antenna down for
maintainence, thoroughly inspect the traps -- there's most likely
evidence of some prior insect residents.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales