[TowerTalk] 30/40/80 DIPOLE (balun/strain relief ideas needed)

Al Williams alwilliams@olywa.net
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:18:43 -0700

A dissenting note-- I much prefer my knob-switched MFJ948 to my roller tuned
MFJ969.  The reason is that I change bands, frequencies, and wire antennas a
lot during a contest and the roller inductor is difficult and time-consuming
to crank
to predetermined points, whereas the knob-switched cant be simpler.
Further,
initially finding the match settings requires rocking the roller inductor a
lot

If I want (which I dont) to reduce the VSWR from say 1.3 to 1.1, then the
roller
inductor is more capable.

It would be helpful if manufacturers would calibrate there dials on tuners
such that
increasing the number readout corresponds to an increase in inductance and
capacitance.  Maybe  mfr's other than MFJ do!

k7puc