[TowerTalk] A3S Refurbishment - Traps == Bug Nests

Steve Bookout nj4f@erols.com
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:27:45 -0400

Hello All,

I would (and have) use some sort of good general purpose cleaner of your
choice.  I don't suppose it would hurt anything to even try dish detergent,
but I never have.  I forgot what I specifically used.  It may have been
something like Top Job or Mr. Clean.

If you are worried about the heat, make sure any optional drying cycle is
turned off.  If it can't take the heat of just the hot water, then you
*really* need new parts.

I first tried this with some center loading coils from my 3 ele Mosley 40
meter beam.  During storage, ants had made it their home and brought all
types of dirt like debris into the housing.  The coil turns were wound on a
ceramic coil form and it was next to impossible to get all the stuff out
from under and between the turns even using a toothbrush and Spray Nine
cleaner.  Just never felt it was really clean and each time I would rinse
it again, I would float out more junk.  After running it thru the
dishwasher it was super clean and the ceramic even squeaked.
(On a absurd side note,  about 4 years ago I inquired to Mosley about the
price of these center loading coils assemblies (I had some ideas for a FD
antenna.)  I was told the cost was $94 each!  This outrageous cost was
defended by the statement that it was 'imported Italian ceramic'.  Yeah,
...right...)

73 de Steve, NR4M

At 10:18 AM 6/22/00 -0400, DavidC wrote:
>> A good remedy is to disassemble as much as possible and run the parts thru
>> the dishwasher.
>>
>> 73 de Steve, NR4M
>
>What diswasher settings do you use for this purpose?  Do you run plain
>water or the usual detergent?
>
>Any reason for concern about the heat in the dishwasher distorting the
>plastic?  I have an old Mosely that needs the "treatment" ... :-)
>
>Thanks!  DavidC  K1YP

>NetZero - Defenders of the Free World
>Click here for FREE Internet Access and Email
>http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html

Steve Bookout, NR4M (ex NJ4F)
Rapidan Data Systems

'DX4WIN...The way logging programs should be!'
Free demo at http://www.dx4win.com