[TowerTalk] Homebrewing Verticals

ValErwin@aol.com ValErwin@aol.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:22:38 EDT

Bruce:

I have been relatively successful in building insulators for the bottom of
verticals using either fiberglass rod or Schedule 40 PVC.

In the Dallas /Ft. Worth area we have a firm that sells scrap fiberglass rod
very cheap. You never know what size they are going to have when you go
there; but, if you are patient you will eventually find what you need.
Assuming I find the size I need, I place the solid fiberglass rod on the insid
e of the Al.

I have also used Schedule 40 PVC and adjusted the size of the PVC by taking a
slice down the length of the pipe. Depending on the width of the saw blade or
the number of cuts you take out of the side you can adjust each size of PVC
within limits. Then, clamp the PVC pipe on the outside of the Al vertical
with stainless steel clamps to compress down to the size that you want.

The above works except  obviously neither method  will adequately support a
vertical w/o some guys. I have used the above scheme(s) for years --

GL

Val
W5PUT