[TowerTalk] Antenna Grease--Deficiencies and Remedies

Joe Reisert jreisert@jlc.net
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:09:11 -0400

Ken,

When I came to New England from San Jose, one of the locals told me all
about the silicon grease trick you mentioned so I believed them....for a
while....However, after a few years, some water apparently did get into the
connectors one by one and they eventually flashed over. In fact, at 400
Watts on my 432 MHz EME antenna, the center pin on an expensive 7/8"
Andrews coax connector had a vaporized center pin after the VSWR had risen
from a rain storm.

What I finally did was to rub silicon grease sparingly only on the threads
of the connector (outside of the coaxial connection) and it indeed
inhibited the water from getting into the center RF area of the connector.
Furthermore, when water did occasionally get in, it was easy to remove and
repair.

73,

Joe, W1JR