[TowerTalk] Outboard tuner

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:14:00 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/00 5:15:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time, n4kg@juno.com
writes:

<<
 I expect your filter is designed for 50 ohm terminations so
 it should be between the transmitter and antenna tuner.

 Using a very short antenna with coax will result in VERY
 HIGH SWR which will cause the coax losses to increase.

 Lower loss feedline such as LADDERLINE will minimize
 feedline losses.

 Dropping the feedline straight down and feeding the 40M
 dipole as a top loaded vertical on 80 and 160M would be
 even more efficient.  Of course you will need radials,
 preferably 30 or more.

 de  Tom  N4KG >>

    When tuning a dipole as a top loaded vertical and the end of the feedline
is 1/4 or 1/2 WL long (dipole 1 WL long), the Z is high around 2500 ohms or
more.  The tuner must be able to match this and typical tuners in rigs may
not be able to match this.  The need for a low loss ground system or radials
to complete the resonance is not necessary.  The antenna is already a 1/2 or
1 wave long and is to be voltage or Hi-Z fed.  If it is a 1/4 wave multiple
and Lo-Z, you need a good ground preferably of radials instead of just a
ground rod.  If a lossy ground of RF resistance becomes a value compared to
the Radiation Resistance, it lowers the efficiency of the feed system.  The
RF current flow through this resistance results in a significant power loss.

When the feed Z is 2500 ohm or more, the RF ground resistance of a lossy
ground rod is so small compared to 2500 ohms, the efficiency is still
maximum.  The current flow is very low in Hi-Z feedpoints.  I and others have
had success with just ground rods and radials when feeding top loaded dipoles
but never had a comparative installation side by side to compare.  I will do
this very test in SD.  I will do it in Eznec.  I'm eager to see what angle
change there might be with 1/4 wave and longer radials does.

I've used this antenna since 1946.  W7WIP of Bremerton, Wa was the first I
heard using it.  He could quickly switch between it and the conventional
dipole configuration.  On 75M to SD there would be several S units
difference.  It's a great antenna and Hi-Z voltage fed antennas reduce the
necessity of an extensive radial system.  I will have a 4 Square on 160M and
use top loaded !/4 waves just so that I can voltage feed the verticals.  I
like the idea of an upside down current loop as it gets the strongest current
field far away from the ground and surrounding objects.  I won't have
surrounding objects in SD, however.  When I used a top loaded vertical on
75&40M here in Seattle the DX called me.  I had a 40M 8 radial system.

Conventional wisdom would suggest using radials with voltage fed antennas.
But for a test I've suggested to many they can operate with a ground rod
connection for the tuner whatever it is (I and others used L networks not
remotely tuned but ideal).  It worked so well no one felt it necessary to add
radials.  The L Network well tune or match without the ground connection but
it helps to cool the coax shield going to the shack.  One guy had no ground
rod and the coax was buried which tended to cool the shield with no RF in the
shack he could detect (the ultimate of simplicity).  Another was on black top
and another on a roof and still had no RF problem in the shack.  Perhaps the
coax lengths were ideal in some way.  On a roof I'd sure add at least 4
radials.  To add radials or not over a ground rod when voltage feeding is
another concept that needs final confirmation.  After over 50 years of using
this antenna, this is one concept I will finally have a comparative
opportunity to resolve on 6 acres in SD.

I had an article on this antenna in CQ about 40 years ago called the "10-90
Degree Vertical" for 75&40M.  The 10-90 Degree bit refers to the 2 angles of
radiation possible when voltage and conventional feeding a 75M dipole with a
1/4 WL feedline--coax or open wire line.  I had all kinds of favorable
response to it even years later.  W7DND had great success with voltage fed
verticals with NO RADIALS on a slat water beach on 20-10M.

QST had an article in the late 40's on this antenna where they also had a
tuner circuit that created the Turnstile polarization. The polarization
rotated between vertical and horizontal at an RF rate and this is very
effective on transmit for contests or any time.  It helps reduce QSB on
transmit and receive also as most of it is from polarization shift.  As I
recall radials weren't even mentioned but a ground connection was shown.

Radio Mag had a similar article in the 40's also.  They are in my files and
packed so I don't remember the exact dates.  This is a great antenna for
160-40M and it can be tried quickly with just a ground rod to cool the coax
shield.  I recommend as does N4KG to then add radials--and compare.  Be
surprised for a surprise.

I have a joke I seriously tell about ground connections (on paper) shown in
the magazine articles and balanced feedpoints fed with coax without a balun
and perfect patterns are always shown as if there was no RF Spill Over--on
paper.  The reason is it is shown on non-conductive paper.  If mag articles
were printed on aluminum foil there would be RF Spill Over on the shield and
the resulting patterns would be shown.  They would have "RF Reading
Feedback."  When I can keep a straight face they tend to believe it.   K7GCO