[TowerTalk] Tristao Tower Lubrication

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:35:11 EST

In a message dated 02/29/2000 4:15:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mark.cherry@quickstart.com writes:

> I have a 4 section (75' total) Tristao crank-up tower.  I will be bringing
>  it down in the next month to replace the rotor and antenna.  It has been up
>  only a year, but I feel that I should lubricate all moving parts.

      While it's only been up a year at your place, that tower is probably 20
years old. Best practice is to lube the cables twice a year. I don't know if
your pulleys have sealed bearings or what, but if they don't the pulleys
should be lubed too.

       BTW, you're due for a cable/pulley replacement - it's way overdue.
What condition is the cable in? Rust - deep or suface? Any broken strands?
Any permanently bent cable (cable that's taken a set)? Those are all
indicators of cable replacement.

>  What lubricant is recommended for the pulleys, cable and winch, which is a
>  ratchet up/friction brake down model.

      Cable (wire rope) manufacturers recommend a product designed for moving
cable with certain properties. A recommended one is PreLube 6. It stops
squeaks, removes moisture, prevents rust and penetrates the cable strands.
Champion Radio Products handles it. A rough rule of thumb is one can per
application.

>  Also, what might be used on the guides that nest between sections?

      Good question. US Tower products come with a really tenacious grease
but I don't know specifically what it is or where to get it. I suspect the
heavier the grease, the better.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
http://www.championradio.com