[TowerTalk] Slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

N2NU@aol.com N2NU@aol.com
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:32:51 EST

After a number of years of using tree mounted antennas, I have settled on using a bow and arrow for getting ropes into trees.  I find that an arrow with some weight on the front (unscrew the tip and add a weight with an 8-32 screw) is far more accurate than a slingshot with a little practice.  It will also scale high trees with the greatest of ease.

I use 20 lb test fishing line on a spinning reel, and use that to pull up braided fishing line (squid line) that is heavy enough to pull up the load bearing line.

If this isn't good enough for your application, I would suggest the references in the following web site:

http://www.schamp.net/andy/siege_engine_index.htm

There are plans for machines to scale any tree or wall!!
I especially recommend the Trebuchet.  I may move to the Pacific Northwest and build one for those big trees.

73, John