[TowerTalk] Imagine that!

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:05:37 EST

In a message dated 03/06/2000 10:18:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kg5u@hal-pc.org writes:

> What is the breaking point of 3/16" stainless steel guy wire?

     According to my research if it's stainless steel aircraft cable, it's
3700 pounds.

>  My Rohn book was no help.  Neither was Rohn when I called and asked them.

     No surprise - they don't use the stuff (they don't build aircraft - hi).

>  We did agree that 10% of breaking strength was normal for guy tension.
>
>  I've posed the questions (what's the breaking strength of the guy wire and
>  what is the tension to which the guys have been drawn?) back to the
>  electrical Tech Monitor to get that info.  The guys seem awfully taut.

       I'm assuming you used three cable clamps per termination with the
saddles in the right direction. How did you measure the tension? A Loos Guy
Tensioner should give you a reasonable reading.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech