[TowerTalk] Anyone using a sled system on the side of the tower to raise and lower antennas

Carl Smidt smidtca@sprint.ca
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:41:38 -0400

Hello Jack,

I had a steel fabricator install side by side, end to end, barn door slide
rails on my 48 foot tower (the parallel rails are separated by about 10"),
on which he attached a self designed and on the job fabricated elevator
approximately 4 feet high, at the bottom of which the rotor is fastened and
the top of which the thrust bearing is installed. At the top of the tower he
designed a spring loaded grip (which can be decoupled by pulling a dacron
rope) which holds the raised elevator firmly in place when fully raised,
without relying on the cable. At the bottom he fashioned a platform inside
the tower on which he attached a marine, hand operated, winch, which moves
the elevator up and down through a heavy duty pulley fastened at the tower
top. The cable coming off the winch slides on nylon strips on the outside of
the tower where ever it might touch. Unfortunately, I don't have any
drawings, since he designed it, piece by piece, by the seat of his pants, so
to speak, as he went along. Works great and has been up for several years
now. Makes antenna maintenance a snap at ground (chest)level.

73,  Carl  VE9OV