[TowerTalk] Pulling Heliax through conduit

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:30:38 EST

In a message dated 03/12/2000 9:03:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

> I think the real issue is being missed here - the PVC is only 2 inches ID
>  and has 4 90-degree bends in 50 feet.  The maximum radius of the required
>  bends in the 1/2" Heliax is therefore on the order of 4 inches, and pulling
>  it through the pipe by whatever method will subject it to a lot of
>  small-radius flexing.  The real question is whether it can survive this
>  sort of treatment.

      You're right. The original poster said they were "sweeping" right
angles so I'll believe that.

      Since the pipe-to-cable ratio is 4:1, that's good enough for me. If he
was trying to pull multiple runs in the 2" conduit, I would NOT recommend
that.

     Unless the Heliax gets kinked, then it'll take a fair amount of abuse.
As long as the cable is greased up real well with cable pulling grease, it
should go through with no problem. Use of a Kellum pulling grip or a couple
of clove hitches is highly recommended.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech