[TowerTalk] Direction Finding

Ralph Fedor rfedor@cloudnet.com
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:38:22 +0000

Is there any info "out there" on using one's latitude, longitude, time of
day, and time of year to precisely measure directions with the sun and the
shadow it casts?

This would seem a good way to align and claibrate rotating systems.

When I used to fly I was taught to do this rather roughly, in emergent
situations, by pointing the nose of the airplane at the sun and setting the
compass according to the reasoning:  the sun is at 90 degrees at 6 a.m.
(standard time) and moves 15 degrees per hour to 270 degrees at 6 p.m.

73-
Ralph - K0IR