[TowerTalk] Re: Beam Headings

Wes Attaway wes@attawayinterests.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:37:14 -0600

Call me a simpleton if you want to, but I think the recent thread on "lat,
long, beam headings, etc" begs the question: Why worry about exact headings?
I offer the following thoughts:

1.  Most HF beams have 3-db beamwidths of somewhere between 30 and 60
degrees (this is admittedly a wide range, intended to cover big, long yagis
and the worst of the small ones);
2.  There is usually some degree of "play" as the beam rocks back and forth
in the wind; depending on how old and loose the installation is, this "play"
can amount to several more degrees, plus and minus the intended heading;
3.  Most rotor direction indicating schemes are not perfectly accurate all
the way around, and tend to become less accurate over time;
4.  Many DX paths for "best signal" (particularly on long path routes) turn
out to be dramatically different from what you would expect from looking at
a chart;  you find the best signal, if necessary, by moving your beam back
and forth; you do not use a chart and just point the beam where the book
tells you to and then sit there and call;
5.  Finally, after about 45-years of DXing with all sorts of beams (the last
20 with two big Telrex yagis) I have yet to find a single situation where
knowing the precise heading of the DX, and the precise direction my beam was
pointing, had any bearing on my ability to work the DX.  I use essentially 4
directions ..... approximately SE, NE, NW, and SW.  Sometimes I use E, N,
and W (I don't remember ever pointing my beam due South).  That's it.  Of
course, depending on where you are your basic directions will be different.
I've turned my beam a lot during QSOs and just listening over the years and
can truly say that fussing with exact headings is just not worth the effort.

What this really boils down to is that I really don't think there is much
need in calibrating your rotor and beam headings more precisely than to just
use practical methods.  If you live in an urban area with streets laid out
on an E-W/N-S grid, use the street to line you up.  Or, use a compass
(remember those things?) and add or subtract the proper deviation.

Spend less time worrying and calibrating and more time operating!

--------- Wes Attaway (N5WA) ----------
2048 Pepper Ridge, Shreveport, LA 71115