[TowerTalk] Yagis and Rivets

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:19:09 -0500

On 3/16/00 7:17 AM, alsopb at alsopb@gloryroad.net wrote:

>My knowledge is dated.  My understanding is that most structural
>rivets on an airplane are not the bind pop rivet type.  They are
>flattened on both sides.  I would certainly trust them.  A comparison
>of pop rivets to them doesn't seem valid.

There are aircraft designs which are constructed entirely out of blind
rivets. Many of these are kit aircraft, and the designs of Murphy
Aircraft Co. come to mind immediately.

Even on production aircraft, blind rivets have their use. In some
instances, it isn't possible to get behind a surface to buck a driven
rivet. In those cases, blind fasteners are used.

So, there are structural blind rivets. Just don't call them "pop" rivets.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales