[TowerTalk] TEK screws

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:27:38 EST

      A bunch of people have asked me about TEK screws. Here it is again.

      A TEK screw is a chisel-tipped, self-tapping sheet metal screw. TEK is 
just one manufacturer - there are others. Most any hardware store will have 
them; my country True Value down the street has them. 

     Get the ones with Phillips heads; the quarter-inch long ones should be 
plenty for drilling thru two layers of aluminum elements. They install in a 
couple of seconds with your cordless drill. I haven't seen one of those come 

     I'll bet you a nickel that riveted joints backed up with a TEK screw 
installed off-axis (per N4KG) will eliminate 'loosening rivet' syndrome. The 
TEK screw will also provide a redundant electrical connection.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
Submissions:              towertalk@contesting.com
Administrative requests:  towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-towertalk@contesting.com
Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm