[TowerTalk] Two Die in Ham Radio Tower Accident!!!

K4tmc@aol.com K4tmc@aol.com
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:15:34 EST

This was in this morning's local paper (Raleigh, NC - The News & Observer):

2 Killed When Wind Topples Ham Radio Tower in Burke

Two men fell 60 feet to their deaths when a wind gust toppled a ham radio tower they were building in western Burke County (NC).  (Name 1), 46, and (Name 2) 37, both of Nebo, died at the scene Saturday, Burke County authorities said.
Name 1, Name 2 and four other men were building the tower as a birthday present for (Name 3), who lives at the site where the accident occurred, said Detective Stacey Buff of the sheriff's office.
Buff said the other men were hoisting a section of tower to Name 1 and Name 2 atop the partially assembled tower when a wind gust broke the suspended section, which then caused the tower the men were standing on to topple.  (end of story)

I left the men's name out on purpose. I have no other information at this time; just thought everyone should be aware.  Think twice about having amateurs do this type of work.

73,
Henry Pollock - K4TMC
Raleigh, NC