[TowerTalk] Another tower disaster update.....

Gary McDuffie, Sr. mcduffie@scottsbluff.net
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:13:28 -0700

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:33:41 -0800, AA6DX wrote:

> Winch called likely cause of 3 falling to deaths
> Three men who fell 1,000 feet to their deaths from a communication tower
> were lifted by a winch designed only to lift materials, not people,
> according to a state report.

This one bothers me.  Why?  Because I've seen this done.  They will ride
the rope up the tower, using only a simple capstan winch being held by a
19 year old rookie.  You don't think of this happening until it does.

Gary

ag0n at arrl dot net
--
Please notify your ISP if you don't receive this.