[TowerTalk] Two Killed Erecting Tower

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:42:43 -0500

On 22 Mar 00, at 14:02, Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:

> So that his loss is not in vain, I have promised myself three things:
>
> * I will never climb alone. Someone will always be on the ground
> observing to summon help should the unthinkable happen.
>
> * I will never climb without a proper safety harness with TWO fall
> arrest lanyards.
>
> * One fall arrest lanyard will be clipped into the tower at every
> moment. (No free climbing)

While I am guilty of climbing alone at times, I can add the following:

I, too, never free climb. I have a Rohn 45. On my fall arrest harness
are two lanyards. One wraps around the tower, and stays there all
the way up and down.  The other one is used to attach me to the
tower when climbing around obstacles like Tic Ringrotors, where
the wrap-around lanyard has to be removed. It is also used once in
working position. I also have a fall-arrest lanyard with a gorilla hook
(purchased from Champion Radio) which is used once in working
position, attaching to the ring on the back of the harness.

Also, when climbing alone, I carry either a cell phone or a 2m HT
up the tower with me, just in case...

73 es safe climbing,
Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com