[TowerTalk] Tower Safety

K4SB k4sb@mindspring.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 23:07:21 +0000

Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:
Bill replied to Barry with this question

> * what use will a cell phone or a 2m HT be if you get injured and are
> unconscious?
>
> Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org

Unconscious and alone? No help at all. But if consciousness is
regained even partially for enough time to push the 911 speed
dial, you will get help. Believe me, nothing gets the attention
of a 911 center more than a call with no response.

I live alone, with isolated neighbors, have had open heart
surgery, and believe it or not, my greatest fear is I'll trip
down the stairs or whatever, and not be able to reach a phone. I
hate carrying that thing everywhere ( try taking a shower with
the thing hung around your neck ( and yes, it's in a baggy ) but
for me, it could be the difference between dying a very slow
death, and help.

Perhaps we should look on these things not as a guarantee, but an
extra little bit of insurance. Cover every base we can, and pray
to God it never happens.

And be thankful for the combined experience of this group.

73
Ed