[TowerTalk] T2X Direction Pot

Brad Rehm Brad Rehm" <bradrehm@texas.net
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 20:42:18 -0600

Alan,

I just checked the manuals for the T2X and the Ham IV.  The latter gives the
part number for a potentiometer kit, and the former gives the part number
for the pot itself.  So there doesn't seem to be a way to use the P/Ns to
tell if they're the same.

They probably are, though, since except for the brake on the T2Xx, the
rotators  are virtually identical.

I've changed the pot on the Ham IV, and it wasn't very difficult.  The worst
part of the job is keeping track of the little roller bearings that the
upper half of the case rides on.  Just throw them in a can of paint thinner
as you take them out.  They'll be clean when you need to reassemble.  I use
a thin layer of automotive wheel bearing grease to lube them on assembly.

You probably already know that you can check the pot by putting an ohmmeter
across terminals 1 & 3 and 1 & 7.  (Disconnect the control box before making
the measurement.)  Depending on the position of the pot, the resistance will
be between 0 & 500 Ohms on each side.  The total for both sides will, of
course, be 500 Ohms.  If this checks out, look for a problem in the control
box.  The internal fuse, the fixed and variable resistors are candidates, as
well as the meter itself.

Go for it.  There's no rocket science here.

73,
Brad  KV5V