[TowerTalk] FW: 2nd C31XR on Europe?

John Langdon jlangdon@outer.net
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:47:17 -0600

I'll second that.  I recently put up a C3 fixed on SA/Caribbean on the side
of the tower at 40 ft and it is worth its weight in multipliers, working
better into the high angle low hop zone than the higher antennas and zero
time to rotate.

73 John N5CQ

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of n4kg@juno.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 7:42 AM
To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: 2nd C31XR on Europe?

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: N4KG@juno.com
To: brian_smithson@vds.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000

By all means, add another, at 40 ft, fixed on Europe.
Even if you don't phase them, just having high and
low beams is a POWERFUL combination.  You
will most likely find the LOW beam is best during the
day, especially now that high sunspot activity has
returned.  Better yet, rotate the side mount antenna,
even if you only set it up for 120 degrees, you can
cover EU / AFR / CARRIB / SA.

Add yet another tribander fixed on Carib / SA on the
40 / WARC tower, also at 40 ft.  Or even a triband
dipole or small 2L tribander.  Well worth the effort.
It doesn't take much to work the Caribbean and
anything aimed the right way is a LOT better than
trying to work someone in your 20 to 40 dB side null!

I have 8 high band antennas on 7 towers.  The only time
I touch a rotor in contests is to move the monobanders
from Europe to JA.  ALL other directions covered by fixed
tribanders (TH7 East / 40 ft, TH3 SE / 40 ft, South TA32 / 60 ft,
TH6 at 80 ft usually parked WSW overlooking 20 ft rise).

de Tom  N4KG

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:31:11 -0500 "Brian Smithson"
<brian_smithson@vds.com> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> Well, after a semi-serious effort in WPX this past weekend it is
> finally clear to me why I've heard others have a beam or two
> fixed on Europe. Quite often I'd be working some other part of
> the world and then discover a mult over there. Sometimes I could
> work them, others not and I'd have to decide if I wanted to swing
> the beam around.
>
> Right now, I've got two towers, both 72'. On one, I have a lone
> C31XR. On the other, I have a XM240 and a WARC beam 15' above it.
> My question is, would another C31 be effective bolted to the side
> of either of these towers, and if so, which one/how far below the
> top should it be?
>
> It seems like if I put it on the first tower below that C31 I
> might be able to play the phasing game to europe, but once aimed
> there I really didn't have any trouble getting thru. I also wonder
> if the beam below would mess up the pattern for any other direction.
>
> What do you think?
>
> 73, and thanks!
>
> -Brian n8wrl

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!