[TowerTalk] Small free-standing to Bigger free-standing

Lonberg, Hank Hank.Lonberg@Harrisgrp.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:38:55 -0800

David:

It is perfectly possible to do what you ask. I have done this very thing
many times when my clients insist on putting 6 pounds in a pound sack. The
trick is in the connecting the new concrete to the existing. What I do is to
drill and epoxy rebar dowels into the existing concrete to act as shear
connectors between the new and old concrete. Typically they are at 1'-0"
centers and project 12 inches out from the existing and are imbedded per
manufacture's recommendation for size of bar. This insures that the new
foundation acts as a single unit and develops the larger size strength. If
you don't do this then under the worst design case, i.e., fully loaded with
lateral wind load the foundation would act as two separate pieces and only
have the strength of the new one with the old one acting like the soil.

I recommend you find a local structural engineer to design up the new
foundation.

73

Hank Lonberg / KR7X  P.E.