[TowerTalk] 4 Way Guying

Lonberg, Hank Hank.Lonberg@Harrisgrp.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:55:02 -0800

Richard:

You are using the 80% guideline as published by Rohn. You can actually use
the same guy points you use now and place the additional guys there also.
What you need to do is to calculate the new loads and see if you guy point
attachment and supporting structure of the roof can handle the additional
load. The 80% is not hard and fast just a published value that is worked out
for users by Rohn.

If you really must go to 4-way guying then consider this: Get some ¼" thick
steel plate and have it cut in a square larger than the outside dimensions
of the tower legs. Burn a hole in each corner and burn holes for the legs
oversized slightly to match. Install at tower joint nearest desired guy
position. The plate will rest on the horizontal bars and the tower legs will
protrude thru the plate to allow the next section to be installed. Install
your guys to the corner holes and you are in business. The plate distributes
the load fairly evenly to all three legs and is a better connection than
looping an addition guy at one of the legs.

Hope this gives food for thought.

Hank / KR7X, P.E.