[TowerTalk] Gate-banging

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Thu, 4 May 2000 07:10:53 -0500

You can stall Ham-x type easily with no apparent damage, but there is a trap
at the end, once in a while the brake will lock into one notch beyond the
end, and then it doesn't have enough power to release on the return. No
damage done, but has to be wiggled manually.

One of my towers that has a long boom yagi (50+ ft)  presents a similar trap
and I learned not to get too near the ends. Sometimes the wind will bind the
brake, and you have to nudge it in the wrong direction to release it. If
you're already against a mechanical stop, it won't nudge.

K0FF