[TowerTalk] TH7 SWR trouble ... Coax balun question

markku.a.oksanen@nokia.com markku.a.oksanen@nokia.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 11:42:01 +0300

Gerald,

Thanks, this seems like a clue, however if I remember correctly the TH7
manual states that a coax balun is an option, what they don't say is what
kind it should be!  I am happy to hear that perhaps the work to be done can
be done on the tower, not after taking this thing down.  The previous owner
of the antenna had a "bundle" coax balun essentially hanging of the feed
point curved aluminum parts such that the coil was right at the feedpoint
and he states that proper functioning was achieved.  My solution has some
(half a foot) RG-213 between the feedpoint and the 6 turn, 4 inch coil (from
K1TTT archive)taped to the boom.  If it really is the case that the TH7 feed
is a complex combination of feedlines I am beginning to see where the
problem is.  It is funny that having the coax taped to the boom with the TH6
works just fine with the coax balun and the BN-86 works too.

What I think I will try to do is and see what works (in order)
1) The feedline between the feedpoint and the coil is taped the boom, I will
lift it of.
2) Move the balun coil very close to the feedpoint by coiling that half foot
on the form
3) Shorten the "pigtails" from the coax to a minimum
4) Try a BN-XXXX balun ( I have some old (rusty :(  ) BN86 baluns, need new
BN4000 for real use.

Option 4 means that I may have to put a similar balun to all of the beams on
the tower (now TH7 + 2 TH6, next month 3 TH6) in order to maintain proper
phasing accuracy of the stack.

As you can see I *really* don't want to use commercial baluns, I have always
found coax baluns to be more robust and there is one less wire-terminal
connection to worry about.

Your comments would be very much appreciated!!!!

Markku
OH2RA