[TowerTalk] Radio's/tunnels

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 13:39:20 EDT

The reason for the use of lossy coax with slots was to spread radiation full
length of the coax run--not heat.  Cheap RG8 with semi open mesh will do
about the same.  The actual resistive loss of this coax is just slightly less
than full mesh shield.  80% of the attenuation of coax is in the shield if it
is full.  This is why increasing the size of the center conductor in polly
foam reduced the loss of RG8 .2 db/100' at 30 Mz.  The reduced loss of using
a foam dielectric doesn't start to be an advantage until above 30 MHz.  k7gco

In a message dated 05.05.00 00:19:54 Pacific Daylight Time,