[TowerTalk] (no subject)

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 14:41:55 EDT

In a message dated 04.05.00 04:41:47 Pacific Daylight Time, aa4lr@radio.org
writes:<<
 * Dowels boiled in Paraffin - (Not to mention the relative dangers of hot
 paraffin) this is a classic method. K7GCO indicates that these don't last
 long, and I would tend to agree.

******I didn't say that.  I said I heard a crackling noise in 4" boiled
paraffin spacers with 600W on 20M--inside and outside the shack.  There was
moisture apparently trapped inside the dowels forming a conductive
patch--with noise.  I should have cut one apart.  Translation: It's a bad
insulator.  There is nothing Classic about it (Classic Dumb maybe) and they
do last if properly supported.  It was just a cheap and light bad insulator
when ceramic insulators that I still have after 60 years were available.

 * Tongue Depressors - Another classic. K7GCO says they crack easily.
 Dowels would probably be a better choice.

*******I didn't say Dowels (wood inferred) would be a better choice.  Delrin
dowels are a better choice.  See above.for obvious reason.

 * Delrin or Teflon Rod - I don't know where you get these, but it sounds
 good.

*******Try the yellow pages under "Plastics."

 * PVC - W8JI ran tests. Gray PVC hold water as it weathers - not
 recommended. White PVC is good, but gets brittle and cracks. Can fail
 when wet.

 * Plexiglass - W8JI found it too brittle to work. Also failed when wet.

 * UV Resistant Lexan - W8JI found it was best in his tests.

 * Nylon - W8JI found it works OK.

 * Ceramic - A classic, but they are very heavy and difficult to find.

********Ceramic open wire line spreader insulators are available from Daburn
 Electronics & Cable Corp. [224 Pegasus Ave. Northvale, NJ.  (201-
 768-5400) ] in 2", 4" and 6" sizes. They come in packages of 25.   Alan,
W3BV  >>

 * K3HX noted a QST hint (QST AUG 86) to use 120-size plastic film spools.
 Free for the asking at professional film houses.

 ******Those are ideal for the 400 ohm range of Zo of open wire line.
 Construction: Has anyone tested this plastic for UV etc?  Buy the Ceramic or
use 3/8' Delrin

 * N6NZ came up with a neat idea: Take flat plastic pieces and cut them in
 a stack:

 +---------------+
 |               |
 |   |       |   |
 +---+-------+---+

 Slap two of these together on the wire in opposite direction, and hold
 together with cement, or use a UV resistant cable tie.

 * My variation on N6NZ's idea: Cut slots on opposite sides

 +---+-----------+
 |   |           |
 |           |   |
 +-----------+---+

 Cut slots slightly over center, then hold as above, or drill a hole in
 the center and hold together with a screw and nut (makes the spacers
 reusable)

 * K6LL provided an excellent suggestion: use plastic coat hangers for
 material. But the interesting idea was his construction technique. Set up
 a little drilling pattern, alternating little hole, big hole, little hole
 (o O o      o O o) in the straight pieces of the coat hanger. Then, using
 a diagonal cutter, cut in the center of each big hole, which will leave a
 slot for the feedline wires. The
 tie-wires go in the little holes. This method could easily be used with
 any type of plastic rod or narrow plastic sheet.

 Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Lots of creative folks on the
 list.

 Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL

******* A long life open wire line is only half the design goal.  The tuner
used, the multiple Z's of the load and the length of the feedline is more
critical than with coax use.  Since SWR's can be high, the reactive part of
the Z at the end of the feedline can be hard to match with the wrong length
of open wire feedline.  ARRL often shows the link circuits without a variable
Xc to ground which illustrates they never used what they print.  I often use
a no toroid 3 band balun to feed the link also.  The Johnson Match Box is one
of the best tuners for balanced or unbalanced loads.  I have others. I use RF
ammeters or shunted light bulbs in the output.  It doesn't need a series Xc
in the link--most of the time.  It's a good idea to be able to change the
link tap for the coax from 2,3,4-5 turns if it has trouble matching a load.
If it still won't match a load, reverse the connections on the differential
Xc.  I use a well insulated DPDT knife switch.  Use the configuration that
gives the maximum output even though both may give 1:1 SWR.    K7GCO.