[TowerTalk] Radio's/tunnels

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 19:39:15 -0400

> <chuckle> I was thinking the exact same thing. My office building is RF
> shielded by metal lath and metal roof. I have been wanting to build a
> wideband repeater for scanner and broadcast FM listeners and leaky coax
> sounds like a great idea. I have seen Tandy brand RG-8 where you can quite
> clearly see the white dielectric showing through the diamond-shaped gaps
> in the braid! Finally it has found a use!

I ty-wrapped about 30 feet of cheap Tandy coax solidly against
another piece of the same coax, and tried to measure the crosstalk.

I had more leakage from the cases of the equipment than through
the shields, and cross talk was far below what an antenna several
hundred feet away would produce back in the shack.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com