[TowerTalk] Tall verticals

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 18:50:52 -0600

You didn't say what antenna would be on top.

My TH7 looks like approximately 40 ft of additional
effective height on top of a 40 ft tower.  If your
tribander is equivalent, then your tower is at least
equal to a 115 ft vertical, ignoring what the lower
beam does to the current distribution.  On 160M
the lower antenna probably won't have much effect.
On 80M, I would expect it to be destructive which
is why I recommended a separate vertical as far
as possible from the tower.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Wed, 10 May 2000 09:56:43 -0400 "DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net> writes:
> > > You specified "tall" towers.  What about a 65 foot Rohn 45
> > > tower with tri-banders at 45 and 70 feet?  Would the side-
> > > mounted beam problem be as pronounced on that?
> > >
> > Probably NOT.  It should work OK on 160.
> > Forget 80M.  Use a separate vertical.
>
> So, it would be about a 1/8 wave on 160?
>
> Why would it not work as a 1/4 wave on 80m?
>
> If I insulate the side-mounted beam by covering the mast with
> PVC will its proximity, even if electrically islolated, cause a
> problem?
>
> 80m is far more important to me for emergency communications
> than is 160m.  Are there changes in the configuration of the
> tower and antennas that would make it more suitable to 80m
> use?  Must I eliminate the side-mounted beam entirely?
>
> > > I want to load it for 80m and want to make some choices
> > > about the type of base I use, where and how I side-mount
> > > antennas and anything else that may impact performance on
> > > 80m.  I have the tower but the pouring of the base has yet
> > > to be scheduled.
>
> - Thanks! & 73, DavidC  K1YP in Hudson, FL

> Emergency & Weather Info:  http://www.qsl.net/k1yp
> Boatanchors:  http://members.tripod.com/eDoc4U/BA/ba1.html
>
> FREE INTERNET with No Ads and No Nagging!
> Click on WorldSpy at: http://www.qsl.net/k1yp/FreeStuff.html
>
> Cheaper Computers, satellite access, phone calls etc.
> http://ld.net/?k1yp

> NetZero - Defenders of the Free World
> Click here for FREE Internet Access and Email

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.