[TowerTalk] Reflections, Tuners and Antenna Forum Talks

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Wed, 10 May 2000 16:21:59 -1000

> Somewhere between 50 and 150 watts of the RF that the
> Henry shipped out though the Palstar tuner was eventually
> lost in the coax or tuner?

Nope,  don't think so.  The 2500 watt Bird slug is only
accurate to be within +/- 125 watts even at full scale!
So can easily cover a 50 to 150 watt measurement
with tolerance inaccuracy.

Must look at a bigger picture when using non-lab
type test gear,  as I was.

There have been a few more posts twix Steve and I
today.  And I have performed more tests/measurements
at his request.  The idea to try to chase out some of
the measurement error tolerance problems.  Let's
wait and see what Steve comes up with in his more
complete analysis of the info I have provided him today.

Besides,  I made an error yesterday which I pointed
out to Steve today.  I did not measure the Z presented
by the antenna "system" here in the shack correctly.
That is,  I was too far down line when measuring the
Z at the input end of the shack to antenna transmission
line.  And when that line is NOT terminated in its'
characteristic Z,  as it is not,  since it is connected
to the Force 12 dipole some unknown total line
length away to an antenna which is most certainly
not a 50 ohm pure resistive load at the test frequency
of 7.088 mHz.

Yesterday,  I reported to Steve in my post that the
measured Z here in the shack was R = 52,  X = 58
ohms.  But moving up by the tuner where the line
actually connects to the tuner output,  found the
Z measured there to be R = 17,  X = 11, vswr = 2.9.
Big delta!!

However,  now gives numbers which make sense,
I think based on further measuring going on today, hi.

Will await Steve's use of all this and his post to come.

73,  Jim,  KH7M